Friday, March 16, 2012

58. Homebound

I, my simple meals:
shared with birds perching at the
window.
Delicious fare, a fine wine;
there is Mozart in the
hall –

No,
I am watching the
dying afternoon,
diaphanous as
always,
watching the people scuttle
from place to place
on errands, playing,
loitering:

No –
I am lying on my
neatly composed bed,
languishing like some fatal
Lady of Shalott:

If there is such a thing as destiny
I would be persuaded,
knowing that some of us
are doomed to imprisonment, despair,
jailed in unrelenting
cells
while the rest are
smiling, dancing,
watching television
in the
downstairs den.

Evan Penny: Mask (1989)
Donald Forster Sculpture Park
Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Photographed by Hanneorla: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hanneorla/

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Art, to recognize, must be,
Another Art to Praise.

- Emily Dickinson