Sunday, August 11, 2013

148. Mr. Canada

Image source:

I answer the
voice –
scarcely believing
such a beautiful
creature is
greeting me;

No, I am not
a student,
I answer
dismissively,
in a daze –
CANADA
sits comfortably on
his
crimson
chest

foolish, I do not realize
what I have done
until he
leaves –

Oh!
If only I was,

vulnerable and
innocent,
young and
fresh departed from a
foreign country;

Alas, I am
returning to a
homeland
where I
don’t belong

from roots
I do not quite
understand,

lost and
disillusioned.

If we could only return
to the fresh, enthused
wide-eyed
gaze of
youth,

if only we could
escape with a
handsome
stranger at a familiar
airport
and
rediscover joy
once more

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Art, to recognize, must be,
Another Art to Praise.

- Emily Dickinson